We all experience it at some point in our lives. You have stew in your freezer, but you are not in the mood for yam, plantain or rice, or anything else you goes with “stew”, but “swallow” and you don’t have any soup and do not feel like spending a lot of time making any of the typical Nigerian soups. Well, here is a quick and easy recipe for you.
The Yoruba Plain Okro Soup with Stew is the quickest and easiest soup recipe in Nigeria and can be ready in less than ten minutes.
- Stock ( chicken, fish, beef)
- Fresh pepper ( atarodo) optional
- Crayfish ( blended)
- Seasoning cube
- Wash okro with clean water and with a grater, grate the okro. This makes it draw properly.Wash pepper and chop them. I use chopped pepper because I like to how it looks. ( note that this step is optional).
- In a small pot, stock (I used dried catfish), crayfish, chopped pepper, seasoning cube and salt should be brought to a boil.
- Add grated okro to the mixture, leave to cook for 10 minutes or less and you’re done.
- Dish out a portion of the okro onto a plate and add your smoked catfish stew.
- Serve with any swallow of your choice and enjoy.